Friday, August 5, 2011

Home made Jam/Jelly

If you haven't done this before...let me tell you it is super easy.  You don't need to boil your jars at all if you are making fruit jams and jellies. You can simply fill the jars, place the lids and then flip them over to seal! Because fruit jams and jellies are high in sugar and acid they retard the growth of bacteria so they don't have to be boiled to prevent bacteria from growing before they are "set". Click here to see more on why it is safe.


There are two ways to make jam/jelly.  First off the difference between jam and jelly is simple.  Jams are made with the actual fruit and jelly is made from fruit juice.  There is also freezer jam/jelly which is SUPER simple as all you really need to do is mix ingredients and divide them into freezer safe containers and freeze (ziplock containers work very well for this!). I will start this with cooked jam/jelly.


Things you will need:

Fruit, berry or 100% juice of your choice
White sugar
Fruit Pectin
Small pot
LARGE pot
Ladle
Whisk and long handled stirring spoon
Glass Jars with lids
Tongs
Towel


Optional Items:
Funnel (to make ladling into the jars easier)


I would start out by buying a package of pectin and opening it to read the directions.  They will give you a good idea of how much fruit to buy.  They will also give you a good idea of how many jars to buy.  I like the little 8 ounce jars for my jams and jellies.  I have found that if the recipe says that it will yield (make) 8 cups (so eight of the 8 ounce jars) I always end up using two more jars (for a total of 10).  So keep that in mind when you are buying supplies.  The nice thing about the Ball jars is that once you have the jars you can use them every year because you can buy the lids separately.  Also, you will need a box of pectin for every batch you make.  I usually watch for the pectin to go on sale and then buy several boxes since I know I will use it. 

Once you have your supplies you will need to wash all the jars and the part of the lid that screws onto the jar.  The part that seals will be fine unwashed.  Once they are washed and dry you are good to start!

I follow the directions in my box of pectin (be mindful to make sure that you are measuring and following the right directions as there are several charts and different directions for each type of jam/jelly).

I use a little food chopper to cut up my fruit into little pieces.  I needed 5 cups of crushed strawberries for my recipe which was about 2lbs of strawberries.  I measured the strawberries out then measured my sugar into a separate bowl. ***If you want to use a sugar substitute MAKE SURE that you buy a pectin that you can use it with.  Your Jam won't set properly if you don't.  There are also pectins for low sugar options as well.*** 

Next I set out my jars and lids in a line next to where I will be pulling the Large pot off the stove to ladle. 

Next fill up your little pot with about three inches of water and boil it.  Once it is boiling reduce the heat to the lowest setting you can and spread your lids (the flat part with the seal, not the part that screws onto the jar) in the water.  This activates the sticky part of the seal.  

Now in in your LARGE pot (your jam will foam so it is important that this pot be BIG!  You don't want it spilling over) pour your fruit.  Next mix in a packet of pectin and stir well (I whisk here).  

Turn on the heat to high.  It is important that the heat is high.  Start stirring.  Keep stirring until the fruit boils even while stirring.  It will foam here.  I find blowing on the mix while stirring helps if it is going nuts.  

Pour in your sugar and mix quickly!!  After you have mixed well I switch from whisk to a long spoon.  KEEP STIRRING!!  

Directions are important here...make sure you know how long to let it boil. 

Stirring constantly, bring your jam to a boil.  Now keep stirring and boil for as long as the directions say (mine said 1 minute).  

Pull off the heat and use a slotted spoon to skim off some of the foam.  

Now ladle into your jars! (Funnel is handy here and I found a wide mouth one just for canning/jarring at Walmart by the canning/jarring stuff).  

Once your jars are filled (to just below the threads) whipe the outside of the threads with a damp cloth and then use tongs to pull out the lids and place on top.  Then twist the other part of the lid on as tight as you can get it!  I use a towel to hold the jars since they are VERY HOT.  

Once all the lids are on I flip them over lid down on a towel. 


Set your timer for 30 minutes.  Once the 30 minutes are up flip the jars back over and test the seal (push your finger in the middle of the lid). Usually you can push them down and they will stay down (seal). If they make a popping sound they haven't sealed yet.  Flip them back over for another 10 minutes and then try them again.  

If they still don't seal don't worry yet.  Give them a few minutes setting up right.  I have had jars seal (you can hear it seal too sometimes...POP!) after they have sat upright for a bit.  

You have to let your jam "set" or get jelly like now.  The directions will tell you how long it will take (usually 24 hours).  If after the 24 hours you have a jar that didn't seal, no worries.  Pop it in the fridge and use it now!  :o) 

I have only ever had one jar not seal using this method.  


And thats that!  Enjoy your jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment